Council Minutes for May 2008:
Persons in Attendence:
May 13, 2008
· 11 out of the 12 students who came to second look have confirmed their acceptances.
· 2 other offers have been extended right now.
· Second look weekend went really well. Strong positive feedback from the students.
· Agenda is in place.
· Trying to get third and fourth year Med students for the panels.
Intro to MSTP:
· For the spring event - this year they spent their funds to make sweatshirts that have SOM and MSTP crests embroidered. Maritza feels that this event helped to bond their class.
o Kumar designed the shield (including research into the symbolism). Henry made sure the Latin grammar is correct.
· Is this going to be the official MSTP crest, or will every class make their own?
o We will email out the crests (including an explanation of the symbolism) to see what people like and what they think.
§ The vote will be on our shield, for our program (the left one).
· Other ideas – possibly put the crests on a coffee mug
Council voted to make the MSTP crest official – 9 approved, 4 opposed.
· Last meeting last month, pretty good attendance (4 or 5 MSTPs, 5 or 6 residents).
· Graduation reception this Thursday, May 15
· A representative from each class year emailed their class. 46 MSTP students have confirmed to come. This seems to be a good way to get people to come.
· Not sure how many faculty are coming.
o Sent out the Steering Committee, the four Society Deans, etc.
o Maybe 5-10 faculty
· Not sure about the funding for this event, not a big budget so there might not be enough food.
· Bought a new server. Going to transfer the website to the new server.
· Kathy will be transferring most of the files, she’s working with the IT people to set it up.
o Vishal is going out of town for a few weeks. Others may have to help Kathy set it up.
· The website name is not changing (this is why we bought a server).
· Newsletter came out, we should all have gotten it.
· There were a few typos. Sorry about that. The updated newsletter with the corrections has been posted to the website.
· We should send it out to the students who accepted their offers.
Rep to GSS:
· The RTA vote did not pass.
· There is a proposed open forum to discuss the Tech Fee (which has become a slush fund)
o Is it still necessary?
o Why can’t it be rolled into tuition?