Council Minutes for October 2007:
Persons in Attendence:
1st Year Medical School:
2nd Year Medical School:
1st Year PhD:
G. Thomas Brown
2nd Year PhD:
Serendipity Zapanta Rinonos
3rd year PhD:
4th Year PhD:
Total in attendance: 21
· Recruitment Committee
o In the past this was not a Council committee. Right now we don’t have one, but should we? How about just a small group of people who help Donna and Kathy.
o An important role of this committee is to do follow-up calls
o The consensus is to create this committee
· MSTP Calendar Project
o Going to use the Google calendar
o Give Council open access
· Committee Reports
o Summer Retreat
§ Have a list of locations, going to send out a survey for preferences
· Geneva on the Lake
· Quail Hollow
· Sawmill Creek
· Punderson Manor
§ Council voted on
· 1. Punderson
· 2. Geneva
o Intro to MSTP
o Physcian-Scientist Lecture
§ Successful event last time
§ Still looking for Steering Committee members to let us know when their departments are having interesting speakers
o Community Service
§ Want to have at least 2 events this year
§ Late December – Holiday Toy Drive (or something similar)
§ March/April – something bigger, like a community health screen, maybe partnering up with a med school organization
o Agre Society
§ There will be a talk next week at 4:30, still don’t know the speaker
o Monthly Meeting
§ Last talk was with the astronaut, good turnout and people really enjoyed it.
§ This month, Dr. Kazdan, chief of Anesthesiology at the VA, MD/PhD
· Oct 18, same day as recruiting, going to try to piggy back this event onto recruiting
o Speaker will be done by 7:15-7:30, then take out applicants for a “Tour of Coventry”
· This is replacing the MSTP recruiting dinner
· Will be in Wolstein 403 at 6:30pm on Oct 18.
· Location is still subject to change if someone has a better idea.
§ Dr. Walter Boron will be speaking on the 15th
o Social Committee
§ Helping Kathy and Donna with the Holiday Party
§ It will be on Dec. 11, Manor House 6:30 – 10:00pm
§ Families are welcome
§ Food – full meal or heavy hors d’oeurves?
· Ravi will email out dinner options
§ Entertainment ideas – joke contest, gift steal, board games (bring them), dessert contest
· Email Ravi with additional ideas
o Rep to GSS
§ NAGPS medical insurance discontinued by the GSS
§ BME –no longer has a charter with the GSS, didn’t get it to them in time
· Going to have to wait until next year
§ Smoking Ban on campus
· Undergrads were zealous and wanted the restrictions to be stricter than the Ohio guidelines. They got out-voted by the grads and profs.
· Now there are designated smoking areas, marked on a big white sign with a big red “S”
§ Grad Night Out
· Nov 8 at Lakewood Winking Lizard.
· Everything is free!
§ RTA Passes
§ Voting Rights for MSTP Rep
· Talked to the president, Kevin
· He argued that the MSTP is represented by the departments each student is a in
o Faculty Council
§ Nothing new.