Council Minutes for September 2007:
Persons in Attendence:
1st Year Medical School:
1st Year PhD:
2nd Year PhD:
Serendipity Z. Rinonos
3rd Year PhD:
Total in Attendance: 16
· Paul confirms committee rosters.
· Spit committees into three groups among the executive committee. Each committee will send a short agenda 1 week before the next meeting.
· Meeting times will stay the same (second Tuesday of the month)
· Commuting from CCF – set up a car pool?
· Learner College at CCF splitting off?
o Cliff says that it’s more than a rumor, but nothing is final yet.
· Committee Reports
o Web page
§ Updating databases, added the first year’s websites
o Summer Retreat
§ Talking with Chris (from last year’s) to get material
§ Need to get a list of speakers
§ High priority à pick a date and a venue
§ Going to compile a list of places and present it at the next meeting
o Intro to MSTP
§ Haven’t done anything yet (unless you count the lunch with the faculty)
§ They don’t know their budget yet
§ Nothing yet, going to have a meeting soon
o Monthly Meeting
§ They have a schedule!
§ Ravi is hosting an astronaut. He can give us a talk, but it has to be breakfast.
· Will try 7:30am on Friday Sept, if he can do it
§ Kevin Cooper to talk about clinical trials – how to set one up, run one, etc.
· Scheduled to talk on Sept. 25 at 6:30pm
§ Neil Corman, Sept 25 at 6:30pm
§ BUT… we have another visiting alumnus on that day.
§ Dr. Mark Kazdan – Anesthesiology – What happens when an air embolus enters the vasculature (more of a teaching lecture, but still entertaining)
· Has a PhD from MIT, MD from here
§ Walter Boron (new chair of Physiology), a Wash U MSTP – in November
o Liason to Agre Society
§ Has initiated contact with Dr. Miller
§ Daimon wants the talks to be more interesting this year, so he wants to know if the MSTP is interested to push Dr. Miller to change it
§ Some ideas for the format of the talks:
· Ask the faculty about questions about how they met challenges that they didn’t receive training to do
· What are the big hurdles that they hit in their career paths
· Navigating politics in academia
o Social Committee
§ Nothing yet
o Physician-Scientist Lecture
§ Sept 24-25 – visiting alumna Shannon Morris
§ in Heme/Onc now, got her PhD in Molecular Biology, graduated in 2002
§ Look for the email that was sent out
§ “The Impact of QTc Prolongation in Oncology Drug Development”
o MSTP Rep to Faculty Council
§ No meetings yet
o MSTP Rep to GSS
§ Didn’t make the meeting
· MSTP Calendar
o Will make a sub-committee to do this
· Holiday Party is Dec. 11, 6-10pm at the Manor House
o Food and Activities planned?
§ Delegated to the Social Committee
· Background Checks are required now for medical students
o Cliff thinks all MSTPs should do it just to get it over with
o Unsure whether or not this needs to be done every year or just at the beginning
· Clinical Tutorial
o See the email
o If you are interested in it this year then come to the planning session